Managing Conflict Successfully
Edited By: Robert Avsec
How do you typically respond when you seriously disagree with someone? Do you…
- get mad inside but keep quiet and give the other person the “silent” treatment?
- withdraw to a safe distance because you don’t like to argue?
- get angry, criticize, call names, use sarcasm or some other aggressive behavior?
- give in; say “I guess you are right” with a big sigh, be submissive in order to avoid conflict.
- deny or pretend that “everything is okay”–no conflict exists.
This publication describes the differences between conflict and disagreement, and provides procedures for resolving them successfully.